Asking and Stating Opinion, English Teaching Material



Hi teachers, in this post, I would like to share a teaching resources that can be used in teaching about asking and stating opinion in the classroom. please carefully read the short explanation about giving opinion and the instruction on how to use the worksheet.

THE DESCRIPTION AND THE OBJECTIVE OF THE LESSON.

DESCRIPTION: Analyzing social functions, text structure, and linguistic elements of expression and the expression of thoughts, in accordance with the context of its use.

OBJECTIVE: Every time, both spoken and written, we communicate our thoughts and point of views about topics, situations, or anything. In this lesson, you will learn some common phrases to ask for opinions, express agreement and disagreement, and express personal opinions.

THE RESOURCES AND EXPLANATION OF ASKING AND STATING OPINION.

Generally speaking, when we are asked about our opinions, we make a stand either we agree or disagree with the topic. In order to support our stance, we also tell our personal point of views.

Study this example:

  • George : Mr. Shaw told me that the student should not ride a motorbike to school. What do you think?
  • Robert : Yes, I think he is right. In my opinion, riding motorbike could be dangerous for the student.
  • George : Well, I’m not really sure about that. I’d say that motorbike saves more time than public transportation.

From the dialogue above, we can see the sequence. First, George tells Robert about Mr. Shaw’s opinion and asks for Robert’s opinion. Second, Robert agrees with Mr. Shaw’s. Third, George disagrees with Robert and Mr. Shaw’s. Last, both Robert and George mention their personal point of views about Mr. Shaw’s statement.

Example

  • I hope (that) my next exam will be better than the last. (In another word, I know that I can make my next exam better because I can study harder)
  • I’m hoping (that) she would come to my house. (I know that she could come if she wants to)
  • I wish for my father’s health. (I want my father to be healthy, but I have no control to my father’s health)
  • Happy birthday! We wish you all the best. (We want you to be happy although we do not know what will happen in your life)

We usually use wish followed by past form to show regret about something in the past. In accordance, hope followed by past form is used when you hesitate about something and that bothers you. However, hope cannot show regrets (remember the word itself: hope).

Example

  • I wish my father didn’t know that I borrowed his car. (My father already knew that I borrowed his car, and I feel guilty)
  • I hope (that) my father didn’t know that I borrowed his car. (I doubt whether my father already knew or not, but there is a hope that he didn’t)
  • I wish I turned off all the lights before I go. (I regret that I did not turn all the lights off before I go)
  • I hope (that) I turned off all the lights before I go. (I doubt that I did not turn all the lights off, but there is a hope that I did)

Wish is also used to express something impossible or imaginary. We cannot use hope for this situation because we only hope for the future, not for the past. Remember that we do not put our hopes on something impossible.

Ps. Before you learn to express ideas, you must learn how to ask for opinions first.

A. ASKING FOR OPINION.

1. What do you think? / What do you think about....?

  • My dad asked me to take music class. What do you think?
    (Compare with)
  • What do you think about my dad asking me to take music class?
2. Do you agree with that? / Do you agree with….?

  • Every Monday, students are asked to speak English. Do you agree with that?
    (Compare with)
  • Do you agree with asking students to speak English every Monday?

3. Do you want to say something? / Do you want to say something about…?

  • You got a low score on your English exam. Do you want to say something?
    (Compare with)
  • Do you want to say something about your English score?

4. What would you say? (conditional “if” needed)

  • What would you say if I ask you “will you marry me”? 
5. Any ideas?

  • A: Gina suggests us to go to Bali for the next holiday. Any ideas?

6. How about you? (in a situational context)

  • A: I think; boys are not supposed to cook. How about you?

B. EXPRESSING AGREEMENT

1. I agree with…

  • A: I don’t like people complaining about Facebook.
  • B: Yes, I agree with you.

2. I think so

  • A: I asked Gina to go to the library, but she refused. I think she doesn’t like reading.
  • B: I think so.

3. That’s right / you’re right / she’s right / he’s right and so on

  • A: It is really fun to learn English from movie.
  • B: That’s right.

4. That’s a good point

  • A: The less we complain, the happier we will be.
  • B: That’s a real point.

5. So do I / So am I

  • A: I love this song!
  • B: So do I.

6. I couldn’t agree more

  • A: My dad told me the less we complain, the happier we will be.”
  • B: I couldn’t agree more.

7. I was thinking about that.

  • A: What if we go playing tennis after school?
  • B: I was thinking about that.

C. EXPRESSING DISAGREEMENT

1. I disagree with…

  • A: Charles Darwin claims that his theory is unbreakable.
  • B: I disagree with him.

2. I don’t think so

  • A: Based on my reading, stress can lead people to commit a crime.
  • B: I don’t think so.

3. I wouldn’t say so

  • A: Tom is a very honest person, I think.
  • B: I wouldn’t say so

4. I’m not sure about that

  • A: Jane asked me your phone number. She may have a crush on you.
  • B: I’m not sure about that.

5. I agree to disagree with…

  • A: The court judged my cousin was guilty of car hijacking.
  • B: I know that your cousin is a good man. I agree to disagree with the judgment.

6. Yes, but… (only for spoken)

  • A: These days, the use of paper-based book is useless.
  • B: Yes, but I just can’t feel the joy of reading without turning pages.

D. EXPRESSING PERSONAL OPINIONS

In expressing personal opinions, we usually put the phrases followed by the central idea of our opinions. These expressions highlight the origin of the idea, so the audience would not be confused by questioning “Whose opinion is that?”

Look at the examples:

1. I think….

  • I think our government should pay more attention to education and health problem. (It comes from the speaker’s thought)

2. In my opinion

  • In my opinion, drugs dealer should be punished to death. (It is the speaker’s opinion)

3. Based on my experience,

  • Based on my experience we have to respect others before they respect us.

4. I would say that…

  • I would say that your mother is a very caring person.

5. Personally…

  • Personally, I don’t like the way Mr. Brad speaks.


If you want to download the resources, please click on one of the following buttons.

 



Previous Post Next Post